If you have gained a photographic qualification within the last ten years you may be eligible for an Exemption - which means you could be awarded an LRPS or ARPS Distinction without having to submit a portfolio
The only courses recognised for exemption by The Society are as follows:
- BTEC ND / BTEC HNC / BTEC HND IN PHOTOGRAPHY
- BTEC Extended Diploma Photography
- PHOTOGRAPHIC FOUNDATION DEGREE
- IF YOU ARE A CURRENT LBIPP
- IF YOU ARE A CURRENT LMPA
- PHOTOGRAPHY A LEVEL - GRADE A or A*
- C&G Level 3 Diploma in Professional Photo Imaging 7512-03 500/6950/0
- C&G Level 3 Diploma in Photography 7512-03 500/8079/9
- C&G Level 3 Diploma in Photography and Photo
- Imaging 7512-03 500/6949/4
Also accepted is a combination of any C&G level 3 certificates courses completed that are more or equal to the 400 GLH.
7511-31 Level 3 Certificate in Photo Imaging (290 GLH)
7511-29 Level 3 Certificate in Photography and Photo Imaging (220 GLH)
- OCA (2 Awards required at level 2 or above).
- Scuola Romana di Fotografia
- BA Hons Degree in Photography
- Combined BA (hons) Degree (80% Photography)
- MA in Photography
- If you are a current ABIPP
- If you are a current AMPA
- OCA BA Hons in Photography
*Please note The course award must be no older than 10 years, from the year of applying for exemption.
Applying for an Exemption
If you qualify for an exemption (see above) then the next step is to make an application. Please download a copy of the Exemption application form, which is available below. You then need to send the application along with photocopies of all relevant certificates. The accompanying evidence must state your full name, the award gained and place of study.
The Royal Photographic Society's Council then need to ratify your application, this is done once every month. After this point the Distinction is awarded and your membership application is then processed. A letter of confirmation, Certificate and lapel badge will be sent within seven working days of the Council Meeting.
Please send all applications to the Distinctions Department at the Fenton House address stated on the last page of all application forms. Your application needs to have arrived at Fenton House, Bath, at least Five days before your chosen assessment date.
£27.50 LRPS Exemption
£42.50 ARPS Exemption