About this page
This page provides specific guidance for Members planning to join our EGM on 29 May 2020 at 1100 BST.
We recommend you download and print this page so you can keep it for easy reference. (Please click here to open a pdf you can print off)
Why we are using Zoom® for the videoconference
Due to the constraints of the Coronavirus pandemic, we have decided to run this meeting by videoconference. This provides the added benefit of allowing as many Members as possible the opportunity to take part regardless of location or timezone.
We have considered a number of videoconferencing platforms to help us run the EGM. We have decided to use Zoom as this is the platform that most people are familiar with and because the functionality is best suited for this task.
This does mean you need to download and install Zoom to your device. This is a small piece of harmless software. Please note the following important points:
- Whilst Zoom meetings can be followed without the Zoom software, in a browser, this does not provide enough functionality for our EGM.
- Zoom software can be installed on phones and tablets, however, this also provides limited functionality.
- Therefore, we recommend you ensure you have Zoom installed on your desktop PC or Mac. We cannot provide guidance or support for any other option.
Please note that you do not need to register with a Zoom account to use Zoom for this meeting. This is optional and we do not cover it here.
Finally, we strongly recommend you install and test your Zoom software well in advance of the meeting. Please read on for more information to help you with this.
How to install Zoom
If you already have Zoom installed, we recommend you check you have the latest version. (More info)
As mentioned above, you will need to join the meeting using a desktop computer for the meeting functionality to work. All instructions below relate to desktop PC or Mac only.
Preparing for use
You can now join a special test meeting to make sure Zoom is working and to familiarise yourself with some of the controls:
- Click this link to visit the Zoom test page: https://zoom.us/test
- Click the blue "Join" button.
- You may be prompted to "allow" the Zoom software to open. This is fine.
- Follow the instructions. When asked choose "Join with video".
- You can test and adjust sound and video function with these buttons in the bottom left corner of the screen:
Now, whilst still in the test meeting, please familiarise yourself with an important piece of functionality:
- Click on the "Participants" button in the menu at the bottom of the screen:
- This will open a sidebar to the right where, on the day, you'll be able to see everyone present listed.
- Within the sidebar, look for the "Raise hand" button:
- When you click this, a blue hand will appear by your name. On the day, you can use this to get the attention of the Chair, who will then invite you to speak, and you will be able to unmute your microphone.
Now, you are all set! You can leave the test meeting and close Zoom. It will be ready for the day of the meeting.
If you have registered to attend the meeting, we will send meeting details to the email address you registered by 2300 BST on 27 May:
These details will include a link, a "meeting ID", and a password which you will need to access the meeting. Please do not share these details with anyone.
Once you have those details you will be able to use and test them any time before the meeting. But you will probably only get as far as the virtual "waiting room".
What to expect on 29th May
On the day of the EGM you will be able to log into the meeting using the details provided by email.
Please note the following with respect to the start of the meeting:
- The formal meeting start time is 1100 British Summer Time.
- It will be possible to log in from 1000 and we ask all participants to join the meeting as soon as possible after 1000 to give us as much time to ensure everyone is present and ready.
- The meeting will be locked at the start and it will not be possible to join after 1100. We will not be able to provide any support to any latecomers.
- Only Members who registered prior to the meeting will be allowed to join
When you log in:
- Please enter your name as it appears in your Membership details.
- You will be admitted to a "waiting room". We will check your name and then admit you to the meeting.
- When you join the meeting you will see a holding slide with some information on it.
- Your microphone will be muted.
Once the meeting starts:
- The holding slide will be taken down when the meeting starts formally at 1100.
- You will see and hear the Chair as he starts the meeting.
- We will run through some basic housekeeping and information about how the meeting will run.
- You will be able to "raise your hand" (See above) and the Chair will invite you to speak just as with any other meeting. When asked to speak, we will allow you to unmute your microphone.
- Any motions put forward will be voted upon by online polling using the meeting software. This will be explained in the meeting.
- You will not be able to message or speak to anyone else during the meeting.
During the meeting we will explain how you can get additional help.