POSTPONED - We will be contacting all those who have already booked to facilitate a transfer or refund ASAP. Thank you for your patience.
This course has been designed to be a follow-on to The Society’s One Day Introduction to Photoshop Workshop with John Roe. If you have not attended this workshop, but feel that you have a good understanding of basic Photoshop techniques please contact
The course is designed for:
Those working in digital imaging, photography, graphic design, publishing or other roles that involve day to day use of Photoshop. It aims to provide more experienced users with the knowledge and hands-on experience in techniques necessary to create, manipulate and edit professional quality images with skill and precision.
On completion of this Advanced Photoshop course, attendees will be able to:
- Use masks and layers to an advanced standard
- Understand a variety of ways to make advanced selections and apply the most appropriate for each purpose
- Use the Adobe Camera Raw plugin
- Generate monochrome or split tone images
- Use retouching features to make pictures perfect
- Use Adobe Bridge to organise, proof and process images in batches
- Output using a colour managed workflow for web and print
- Understand the Photoshop layout
- Management your layers
- Create Masks
- Make Adjustment layers (Levels, Curves, Colour Balance and Black and White)
Mask editing in Photoshop
- Masks for Montages
- Masks for Adjustments
- Selections on Masks
- Selective blurring
- Complex cut outs
- Color Profiles for web and print
- Color Management from the screen to either domestic or professional printers
- RGB to CMYK and conversion pitfalls
- Resizing for web and print and possible issues
- Smart Objects, Smart filters (sharpening) & Smart Layers
- Optimising and exporting PNGs and JPEGS for web and TIFFs for professional printing
- Understand file other types such as RAW, PSDs and when to use them
- Make, add and subtract selections
- Using the Pen tool to create paths
- Converting paths to selection
- Using channels to generate selections
- Layer masks – generating masks based on selections, gradients and other content
- Working with Vector masks
- Clipping Masks – applying transparency based masks to single or multiple layers
Layer Styles Techniques
- 3D effects for text and other purposes using Bevel and Emboss i.e. buttons
- Creating drop shadows, inners and outer glows for rollover effects
- Using Colour Overlay, Opacity and the Global Light settings
Working with the Action Palette and Adobe Bridge
- Automate tasks
- Recording, Playing and Editing Actions
- Creating a basic HDR image
This course is suitable for those with some experience in using Photoshop and/or who have already completed the One Day Introduction to Photoshop. Delegates should also have a basic understanding of a computer's user interface (i.e. how to navigate to and open files or folders).
The workshop is run using laptops using a Windows Operating System. If you work on a Mac, the Photoshop interface is identical, and you should have no problem transferring the skills developed in the classroom.
What to bring
A USB pen for your notes (provided in PDF format) and workable files (2GB of free space).
Laptops and drinks will be provided but please bring a packed lunch or use local facilities.
If there is time John is happy to look at some of your images these can be brought on a USB pen, CD, or as prints.
Address: The Royal Photographic Society, RPS House, 337 Paintworks, Arnos Vale, Bristol, BS4 3AR
Please visit https://rps.org/contact/ to help plan your trip. Please be aware that the car park in the Paintworks on a weekday is limited to three hours. Weekends, and evenings after 6pm are unlimited.
Bristol Temple Meads is a 30-minute walk to Paintworks.
Buses running from Bristol Temple Meads to Paintworks are: 1, 178, 349 or the X39, but please check before leaving.
A Park & Ride service is available from Brislington Park & Ride. More information can be found at www.travelwest.info/park-ride/bristol/brislington
If you need to bring your car and don’t want to use the Park and Ride Buses, you can book a place to park at a nearby supermarket using this link yourparkingspace.co.uk
You can also park all-day for £5 at Arnos Manor. Visitors will need to go to the hotel reception to purchase a ticket to display on their windscreen.
- Venue Information
- Cancellation policy
Please inform us as soon as possible if you are unable to attend a course as it is not possible to refund any cancellation or transfer to another workshop less than 14 days prior to course start date. The Society reserves the right to cancel a workshop 7 days prior to its start date - please check your hotel and travel cancellation policy as this may be affected.
If you are attending one of our workshops that involves a trip out, please ensure you bring all weather clothing and protection for your camera. Persons under the age of 16 are welcome to attend events but, to conform with UK law, must be accompanied by a parent, guardian or responsible adult.
- RPS Website