How do we start telling stories with our camera?
And how do we recognise stories (good or bad) in other people’s work?
In this 2 hour course, we’ll guide you, step-by-step, introducing storytelling in photography, how to see it in others work - and how you might tell stories in your own photography.
This workshop is for you if:
- You’d like to understand how to tell a story with your photographs.
What will you learn?
- See how pictures can tell a story, using guided interactive voting to build your understanding and confidence.
- Illustrate the differences between a good and bad story.
- Build your storytelling skills to enhance your enjoyment and appreciation of photography.
- A live online workshop, by Zoom, over 2 hours from 6.30 – 8.30pm (London)
- Consisting of 4 signposted stages, with lots of visual examples (so we show not tell), guided voting (to confirm your understanding), live demonstrations plus ongoing support post-workshop, so you can try the techniques for yourself.
- You won’t need your camera, just a cup of tea, a pad and pen.
- You will be sent a PDF guide after the workshop finishes, which contains valuable information on how to recognise storytelling in photography.
Please look out for the attachment in your confirmation email, it contains the Zoom joining link and passcode. If you don't receive it, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Jon will need access to your email address to enable him to send you any workshop notes - we will presume that by booking this course you are giving permission unless you contact us to state otherwise.
Overseas participants - Please check the time of the workshop if you are outside the UK. This link which will help you to calculate the timing of the online workshop: https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/custom.html
Jon Cunningham, is a professional photographer and founder of award-winning creative education company, Creative Escapes. His work has been published in The Guardian, Daily Telegraph, Country Living and more, shot 7 books for Penguin and Dorling Kindersley, taught photography internationally across 16 countries, mentored dozens of photographers from beginner to professional, and is the author of ‘Teach Yourself : Your Complete Photography Course’ (Hodder).
Creativity Live is a series of workshops designed for those without a formal education in photography. Heavily visual, with plenty of examples, we take a show-not-tell approach to teaching, guiding you step-by-step through the more creative elements of photography; so you understand how to make your work stand out, see behind the scenes how the best images are made, and build your confidence - and ability - to take your photography forwards.
View the whole series at this link.
Quote from happy participant:
"I really really enjoyed this series, especially today’s, and have signed up for the rest"
Image © Saul Leiter Foundation, courtesy Howard Greenberg Gallery
- Emma Delves-Broughton
- Cancellation policy
Please inform us as soon as possible if you are unable to attend a course as it is not possible to refund any cancellation or transfer to another workshop less than 14 days prior to course start date. The Society reserves the right to cancel a workshop 7 days prior to its start date - please check your hotel and travel cancellation policy as this may be affected.
If you are attending one of our workshops that involves a trip out, please ensure you bring all weather clothing and protection for your camera. Persons under the age of 16 are welcome to attend events but, to conform with UK law, must be accompanied by a parent, guardian or responsible adult.
Join from your location
Link attached to event booking confirmation email