The Historical Group began publishing a quarterly newsletter in 1972. In 1989, it was renamed the PhotoHistorian. Initially the journal included proceedings of meetings of the group, along with research articles by members and outside contributors and relevant news and reviews from the history of photography community. It is now an articles-only journal with papers ranging from photographic aesthetics to technology and processes.
It is free to members of the group and available by subscription to museums, galleries and academic institutions.
The ISSN number is: 0956-1455
The editor can be contacted by email here.