Creative photography has been a vital source of inspiration for many individuals during the last unpredictable year. The RPS have organised and delivered a wide range of online photography workshops, discussions and projects every week, reaching thousands of people throughout the world.
"The standard of online content, workshops and talks, particularly this year, from the RPS has been outstanding. A big thank you to all involved." – Online workshop attendee, Nov 2020
Now, at the start of 2021, there is hope that vaccines and treatments will provide a route out of the pandemic - but this may yet take a long time. This is still a very challenging time for us.
To help you stay inspired, creative and connected, we are delighted to announce a new and exciting programme of online photography activities for the months ahead.
1. Explore our latest online events here. Our growing programme includes award-winning workshops with some of the world’s leading photographers, giving practical advice and discussing their most dynamic projects: from polar bears to the tea industry; and mermaids to family portraits.
2. Our exhibition programme at RPS House is still paused, however you can browse previous exhibitions from your home, including the International Photography Exhibition and Sugar Paper Theories. We are aiming to re-open the gallery and building in April 2021, with a sensational new exhibition - more details will be announced soon. In the meantime, we will be regularly updating our operational response to the pandemic on the RPS website here.
3. Competitions are a great way to set yourself new challenges and stretch your imagination. The annual and historic IPE163 opens for entries on 12 January, our regular members’ competition Exposure is currently open for creative food images, and our homepage competition has six new themes to enter.
4. The RPS specialist and regional groups are very active, providing regular forums for discussion and interaction on topics such as landscape, travel, medical and historic photography. We welcome everyone to get involved - you can browse the different areas of specific interest here and events from your own UK area here and internationally here.
5. Now is also a perfect time to take your photography to the next level by working towards a Distinction. Take a look at the latest guidance and genres here.
We have also published guidance for photographers (in England) which we hope serves as a useful resource for both professionals and amateurs navigating the current lockdown restrictions. Read more here.
The RPS will continue to support you throughout the difficult months ahead, ensuring photography remains the most accessible and uplifting way to expand your worldview, whilst we await the opportunity to leave our homes again.
If you have any ideas or suggestions for new projects or services we should consider, we would love to hear from you, and please share this programme with anyone who might benefit from it.